Taking The Right Track
The rail sector is unusual in that most of the railway network in Great Britain is owned and managed by Network Rail via its subsidiary Network Rail Infrastructure Ltd. Network Rail generally has its own standard form contract usually with bespoke amendments. Often railway maintenance contracts are let under Framework Agreements for a fixed period.
Particular issues which arise with Railway work include:
- Access to work sites – this is dependent on closing the live railway for specific periods of time which are known as Possessions
- More stringent health and safety requirements for working with live railways
- Maintaining public access to Stations, footbridges etc
We have many combined years of experience in working in the rail sector working for major main contractors and sub contractors in bringing and closing out successful claims relating to:
- Extensions of time
- Disruption claims
- Acceleration claims
- Major Variations
We have experience of the following areas:
- Track renewal
- Major bridges
- Access for all station building and re-development
- Major roof renewal works of a central London station
- Tunnelling under live rail
- CEFA/ CAFA
In addition, we have experience of dealing with Transport for London projects including a major tube station refurbishment.
Our many years of experience means that we are fully conversant with all of the typical rail forms of contract and have a proven track record in negotiating successful outcomes to these types of dispute.